Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Wire Garden Wall Trellis


It's that time of year again, when the weather is warm and outdoor projects are all the rage on Pinterest. Today's project turns a bland space into a calm and inviting area without spending a lot of money. This project was done by my friend Audrey who also posted here. We'd love to see some of the outdoor projects you've been up to!

Wire Garden Wall Trellis

On our property there are 3 buildings: our house, a veterinary clinic & an old barn. We moved in last May and I quickly got to work settling into the house since I was almost 7 months pregnant.  So the yard had to wait until this year.
On one part of the clinic there is a large open wall space that was in need of something… but bushes are expensive, so what could I do on the cheap to fill this wall?

Here was the inspiration:


Source
Minus the fountain… focus on the vines growing on the wall. I knew I wanted to do something different and this was just the thing!

What you’ll need:

Paper
Ruler
Tape Measure
Decking ScrewsPencil &
Wire
Needle nosed pliers with wire clippers
Seeds for the vine of your choice

First thing I had to do was measure my space and decide how much of it I wanted to cover.  There were about 14 feet between these 2 windows:

So I decided to do a trellis that would be 10 feet wide and 5 feet tall.

I drew out a plan:
I used a 1’ to 1” ratio because that was easiest.


 Drawing out your trellis is a great thing to do because originally I thought I would run the wire in 1’x 1’ diamonds/squares but when I started to draw it out it looked waaay too busy.  Instead I went with 2’x 2’ diamonds/squares.
I drew dots along the perimeter for every 1’ then started to draw in where my wires were going to go.  Whenever I hit the perimeter I darkened the dot because that is where I would be placing a screw on the wall.  (I hope this is making sense!)

Once I finished my drawing I went outside and started measuring 
& installing the screws.

(This was pretty quick and easy because our siding was 4” planks so I didn’t have to measure vertically at all. Yay!)
(If you look closely, this is just the screws.)

Once all of the screws were up, I took the wire and started in the top corner and followed my diagram for where I should go.  For instance, I started in the top left corner, so I wrapped my wire around that screw once to secure it then stretched the wire to the 4th screw from the left and wrapped it around that screw once, then I stretched it up to the top right corner, then used the wire to create the 4 sides of the rectangle on the perimeter.

(Here’s a close-up of one of the screws wrapped with wire once I was done.)

Next I started on the screw that was second from the top on the left and followed it up to the second screw from the left on the perimeter and so on until the whole grid was up on the wall.

When I finished I planted a row of Morning Glory seeds in the dirt under the new trellis.  I knew I wanted an annual vine and morning glories are fast growers.


When it was all said and done it was much easier done than said. 
Funny how that is.

Here is the trellis as soon as I finished.
Here is the trellis today.
I chose to plant an annual flowering vine because we spent a good part of the summer pulling invasive Baltic ivy off of a different part of that building. It was not fun. Next summer I would like to use a vine with smaller leaves so that you can see the shape of the trellis a little bit better.





No comments:

Post a Comment