Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe

I was craving Chinese food the other night but Chinese food from a restaurant usually makes me feel terrible afterward so I tend to avoid it. Instead, I looked up a recipe and found this great sweet and sour chicken dish. I modified the recipe slightly because I didn't have apple cider vinegar on hand and I didn't want to wait an hour for it to bake in the oven. This recipe takes about half the time as the original recipe which is perfect for my last minute meal prep and crazy dinner time with a toddler.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Ingredients:
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cup of cornstarch
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup canola oil (split in half)

Sauce:
1 cup granulated sugar
4 tablespoons ketchup
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon crushed garlic

Directions:
Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and season with salt and pepper. Place cornstarch and beaten eggs in separate bowls. Dip chicken into cornstarch then coat in eggs. Heat half of the canola oil in large skillet over medium high heat and cook chicken until browned (about 10 minutes). In a large mixing bowl stir together sugar, ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce, and garlic. Mix the browned chicken into the sauce. Coat skillet with the rest of the canola oil and cook chicken until done (about 15 minutes or 165 degrees on thermometer) stirring occasionally. I served it with edemame and vegetable wild rice.

Quick and delicious sweet and sour chicken 

No comments:

Post a Comment