Thursday, June 13, 2013

Crockpot Cream Cheese Enchiladas

Crockpot Cream Cheese Enchiladas
This was a pin I saw showing up over and over again.  I figured if you see something that much on pinterest you have to give it a try!  Here was the original pinned post. I switched things up a bit.  I decided to make the enchilada filling in the crockpot so I could set it and forget it.
Ingredients for Enchiladas
You’ll need:
2-3 chicken breasts
½ large onion chopped (Vidalia if available)
1 (8oz.) package cream cheese
1 28 oz. can green enchilada sauce
1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
2 cups cooked rice (I used brown.)
Tortillas (I used whole wheat.)
1-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Step 1.
Step 1

Dump ½ can of enchilada sauce, onion, cream cheese & chicken into your crockpot. Cook on low for 6 hours.  In the meantime, cook the rice and drain and rinse your black beans.
Step 2.
Step 2
Remove chicken and shred.  Add the rice and black beans.  Stir to combine.
Step 3.
Step 3
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour a little bit of the enchilada sauce into the bottom of a casserole dish.
Step 4.
Step 4
Spoon the chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down into the casserole dish.
Step 4 continued
Step 5.
Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the rolled up enchiladas and top with cheese. Cover the casserole dish with foil and bake at 350° for 25 minutes.
Step 5
Remove the foil for the last 5 minutes and turn on the broiler to get that cheese bubbling. Serve with lettuce, sour cream, & tomatoes.  I served corn on the side.
Conclusions: 
This was good, but next time I will probably omit the rice and add sliced bell peppers to the chicken mixture for more flavor. I will also have more enchilada sauce for topping the enchiladas.

No comments:

Post a Comment